Thursday, November 22, 2007

We Gather Together


Its been a while since I posted. After doing all the exercises required for Maryland Libraries' 23 Things, I haven't taken the time to write in my blog. I don't know where others find time to do one blog, let alone more than one.

Today is Thanksgiving, probably the most family-oriented holiday in the States. It is a time to reflect on all the blessings each of us receives even when you don't seem to be blessed. I am reminded of Corrie Ten Boom's sister Betsie when they arrived at the Ravensbrück concentration camp. She gave thanks for being in a barracks with lice, fleas and much deprivation, quoting 1 Thessalonians 5:18: "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (KJV) Those conditions enabled them to hold Bible study and other things frowned upon by the guards. Lice and fleas kept the guards from entering.

My life has been very blessed. I have family who say they love me. I have food, shelter and clothing, and I try to give to those who don't. I have had my periods when I think my life is the pits, and how can I go on, but I have derived strength through my faith, and somehow I pull through.

My son and I will be having Thanksgiving dinner at a nice restaurant. My daughter is with her future in-laws. In Thankgivings gone by we would gather at my aunt's and uncle's home for dinner and laughter. Sometimes it would be up to 25 people, but because of death and other family dynamics we have started other traditions. The memories are there.

We will also see a movie or two and visit with friends.

No comments: