Wednesday, July 4, 2007

HAPPY FOURTH!!


A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to ride The Beast with my favorite young lady. It was the first time I saw the Statue of Liberty. It was truly an inspiring sight. She has symbolized so much Hope to so many. When the chaos that was 9-11 was happening, I feared for Miss Liberty. In elementary school chorus we sang  Emma Lazarus' poem. It gave me goose bumps then and I still get them now.

My ancestors never met Lady Liberty. They were either here as a result of the Great Migration, possibly Highland clearances, or potato famine. They came here because lack of opportunities and hardship made them face the unknown and start a new life.

Today there are still individuals and families wanting to make that decision. I guess there has to be a limit somewhere, but the US is still the Land of Opportunity. When I lived in Belize, there was not a family whose income was not supplemented by someone in the States, either legally or not. Not all peoples entering are criminals or wanting to do us harm. Most are hard working and just want better lives for them and their families. From my and my family's experience, many would prefer to stay in their mother/fatherland, because one is attached to the country where he was raised. 

Forgive my rambling, but this day is for celebration. We've been having magnificent weather for the past few days, backyard bar-b-qs are happening, parades and fireworks will be spectacular.

Have a Glorious Fourth!!


PS: As my son reminds me our family were Loyalists and sometimes we just can't get that excited about American independence.

No comments: